At the end of the training program, the participant will be able to:
- Prepare for work activities relating to jadeite identification
- Identify jadeite treatment and classify jadeite type
- Separate natural jadeite from its simulants
- Introduction to the history and definition of jadeite and nephrite, and their properties.
- Learn the classification of jadeite into their commercial grades by their colour and transparency.
- Practice the operation of handheld loupe, microscope, refractometer, spectroscope, polariscope, ultra-violet lamp and S.G. measuring etc.
- Understand the different types of natural, treated and dyed jadeite and the treatment processes of making B jadeite.
- Using instruments to test and separate the various types of treated jadeite (Type A, B, C, B+C, doublet and coating), and common jadeite simulants, including quartzite, chrysoprase, aventurine quartz, serpentine, hydrogrossular garnet, Dushan jade, albite, prehnite, idocrase, maw-sit-sit, fused-powder jadeite and glass.
- Introduction to synthetic jadeite and their identification.
- Emphasis on the ten-power handheld loupe to identify different types of jadeite and jadeite simulants.
- Introduction to the application of advanced instruments, such as infrared spectrometer (FTIR) and cathodoluminescence in identifying jadeites.
- Intensive practical sessions.